Accommodations During Your Stay
From the very start, we at UNC Health Southeastern want to make sure your stay with us is a pleasant one. Your admission to UNC Health Southeastern was requested by your physician. The admitting personnel asked you and your family members many questions. This information is important in helping us to understand your medical and financial needs. It will, of course, be held in confidence.
We have designed, furnished, and equipped your room to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
- Your TotalCare hospital bed is electrically operated; your nurse will show you how to adjust it properly.
- Your room offers several areas of storage. If you wear glasses and/or dentures, please keep them in a safe place to protect them. Please do not put them on meal trays or in your bed, and make sure you have packed personal items before you leave for home.
- To call your nurse, use the button located at your bedside. A staff member will respond to your call as soon as possible.
A television set is available in each patient room (except on Third East) free of charge to the patient. Personal television sets may not be brought into the hospital.
There is a telephone in each patient room. If you do not wish to receive calls from outside, please let the switchboard know.
- To place a local call, please dial 9 + the area code + the number desired
- To call long distance, dial 9-0; then dial area code and number desired. The operator will come on the line only after you have completely finished dialing. Long-distance calls should be charged to your telephone credit card or to a third party, or you may call collect
- Public phones are located in the Main Lobby and in the emergency waiting area. For special needs equipment for sight- and hearing- impaired patients, please call the Patient Relations department.
We prefer that you leave money, jewelry, and other valuables at home. We cannot be responsible for such articles unless arrangements are made at the time of your admission for securing your items. These may be given to the nurse after you have gone to your room; they may be picked up at the time of discharge by presenting the receipt that you were given when depositing your property with us for safekeeping. Please do not lose this receipt.
For your Safety
Since your health and safety are of prime concern to us, We ask that you take these precautions:
- Ask your nurse to assist you getting in or out of bed unless your nurse has advised you otherwise.
- All UNC Health Southeastern employees and staff who enter your room will be wearing an identification badge. If there is any question as to whether or not a person is staff, please contact your nurse.
- Any small electrical appliance (including hairdryers, curling irons, razors, radios, heating pads, portable heaters, VCRs, computers and other devices) brought with you must be checked by our engineering staff.
- Leave all medications at home. Your physician and our pharmacy will take care of your medication needs.
Photography and Electronic Recording
To maintain patient confidentiality and ensure privacy, visitors and patients are not allowed to take photographs or electronic recordings of other patients, visitors, staff members or physicians without that individual’s consent.
Your round-the-clock care will be planned and provided by a highly skilled and dedicated nursing team led by a registered nurse (RN) working closely with our hospital-based physicians, or hospitalists. In addition to your registered nurse, our patient care staff includes licensed practical nurses, nursing assistants, and clerical coordinators. Each of these employees performs assigned tasks according to his or her education and training and always under a professional leader.
Private Duty Sitters
If a private duty sitter is needed, the nursing office on the first floor will attempt to arrange for this service. Payment for private duty sitters is made by the patient directly to the sitter and not through SRMC. For more information on private duty sitters, ask your nurse.
UNC Health Southeastern is pleased to provide patient meal delivery at times posted near the information board in your room. Our “Excellence in Dining” service is an extension of our commitment to providing excellence in patient care. All meals are planned within the diet guidelines prescribed by your physician.
Soon after admission, you will receive a copy of our Patient Menu that provides daily menu options for lunch and supper. Breakfast options are listed on the back of the menu and include a delicious selection of entrees, sides and cereal options. We have a variety of options available to accommodate your preferences. Dial 3663 on your room phone to make your meal choices. Meals are available for purchase in our cafeteria from 7 am until 7 pm; seven days a week. Guests may also order meals by calling extension 3663. The cost for a guest meal is $5 for breakfast and $7 for lunch and/or supper. Guests must pre-purchase their meal and have the receipt ready to present to our tray delivery staff.
Our Registered Dietitian staff are also available to explain your diet restrictions during your hospital stay and answer questions as you prepare for discharge. You may ask your nurse to contact a dietitian or call Food and Nutrition Services at extension 3663.